The April club meeting, scheduled for this Thursday, April 2, at 7:30 PM will be held via cyber conferencing (or whatever it is called). Members should have received an email through the HARA mailing list. If you didn’t get it, or wish to join, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
It takes a lot of faith to load up rockets on a morning when it’s sprinkling rain. Then more faith after you arrive at the field to sit in the car to wait for the shower to pass at noon. But when you finally squish your way out to the pad and the motor exhaust smoke from your flight just hangs over the rack because there’s no wind you’re glad you made the trip. HARA got out on ‘pi’ day (3.14) and enjoyed a mild winter afternoon after two months of denial due to floods.
The motor count for Saturday taken from the flight cards shows most of the thirty flights were high power.
Greetings! After a final field inspection, it appears that conditions at Jackson 5 will support our launch tomorrow as scheduled!
There will be mud, and the final condition of the dirt road will be uncertain until the day, so plan to park on the gravel pad but please leave a path for vehicles (and especially Chris’s vendor trailer)
Cloud cover is uncertain, so bring or buy a backup motor if we need to keep altitudes lower on the day
Also considering the virus and flu season and all that, may want to exercise the 6′ rule when chatting rockets with folks.
The meeting started with a 1968 B/W video about the West Covina Model Rocket Society. Unfortunately the audio in the projector did not work, so Bill had to provide commentary to the movie. The complete video (with sound) can be seen here. The model rocket stuff starts at the 4:25 mark – the beginning moments are about Robert Goddard.
We are keeping an eye on the weather and the field for the March 14 launch in Woodville. An announcement will be made towards the end of next week. Please monitor the HARA website or Facebook page.
The Student Launch Projects are coming up during the first week of April. Rocket fair is at the VBCC and the launch is at Bragg Farms on April 4 and 5. They can always use volunteers – send an email to the officers if you wish to help out (email@example.com)
We are still discussing how best to have a “build day” in which folks can work on rocket projects with other club members – looking into dates and possible location.
During Show and Tell: Bill brought an Estes Ghost Chaser (new kit release that snaps together), John demonstrated a really neat way of building up scale Nike Ajax fins, Josh showed off his Black Star Voyager and a 3D printed rocket shaped like a church, Doug displayed his Apogee Flying Machine (replete with rhinestone) and Vince brought a 25 year old Dynacom Scorpion kit with a pre-primed nose cone that he wants to convert to dual deploy.
1) John is working all the waivers (and doing a great job, btw). He reports that the FAA is backlogged.
2) Art expanded on the new ruling on WiFi electronics (switches) in rockets – that sort of thing is problematic because you cannot present a rocket with powered electronics to a RSO. An email from Steve Shannon suggests that another area may have to be set up on the range for flyers with these gizmos (off limits to spectators and non-essentials) to allow the “reassembly” of the electronics. Also applies to magnetic switches.
3) Vince brought up NARCON (https://www.nar.org/site/narcon-2020/ – happening this weekend in Tucson) and that Ed LaCroix has been asking him if HARA would consider hosting a NARCON or doing another NSL. HARA has hosted a NARAM (NARAM 30) and a NSL (in 2016); we have not done a NARCON. It was agreed that Vince would ask Ed LaCroix for more details so the club can make an informed decision.
The last item on the agenda involved Duane demoing his prototype wireless launch controller and going over his list of required functions and features. There was a fair amount of enthusiasm over the development, and the club agreed to provided up to $250 in funds for Duane to continue the project (software development environment, parts, etc.).
The field has been inspected and appears to be passable for flying tomorrow!
The downside is this is outside our normal launch rhythm and our trailer haulers are unavailable. I can throw some pads and controllers in my car, but the rails are the main items we need help with. If you are in the Huntsville area and willing to help us get out there and fly, please contact myself or the firstname.lastname@example.org.
Today I must somberly announce that our Tripoli Prefect’s latest inspection has not gone well:
“Both fields are underwater, and according to the NWS the river won’t crest until Friday and it won’t be below flood stage until sometime Sunday. Art”
Taking next week’s weather prospects into account, it looks like our February is washed out.For those looking for launch alternatives, (Student Launch Teams, etc…) Music City Missile club appears to still be holding a launch (with backup 22nd). Check out their website and facebook page for details http://www.mc2rocketry.com/
Thank you for your patience and understanding folks, we’ll get back in the air when we can